Saturday 15 October 2011

It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses we must plant more trees. -- George Eliot



This week I got myself an air plant. It doesn't need soil, it rarely needs to be watered, nonetheless it flowers. It is the perfect low maintenance option to revamp my office feng shui. One that resembles mine looks like 


After placing it carefully on my desk, I immediately became attracted to the 'energy' of its presence. I can't help but gaze lovingly and grin absent mindly at it throughout the day. I don't understand why, but it makes me very happy.

We know that indoor plants improve the air quality by removing air pollutants which are caused by emissions from paints, furnishings, computer screens and other fixtures in the office. They offer additional health benefits including noise reduction and cooling, thereby reducing stress and increasing productivity as suggested by several research. 

I am not sure enhanced productivity can be effectively proven in my case, since that I also spend time playing with my plant. (This primarily includes lifting and putting the lid on and off the glass container) But interestingly, it possibly has had some tangible impacts on my emotional wellbeing.  

According to a UTS research, interior plants have been recorded to produce a reduction in negative feeling for workers by a magnitude of 30 to 60% over a 3 month test period. http://www.ngia.com.au/files/nurserypapers/NGIA_NP_2010-06.pdf


Maybe it is a good idea to clear out the clutter by giving away or throwing out the unused and no longer worked, and replace them with some nice plants. As for the next addition onto my little desk, I am debating over whether to get a water feature or a new mouse pad.


I suggest we all go and get some plants or simply something that makes us feel good, and watch it works its magic into our lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment